Sunday, June 6, 2010

Weekend Wrap-up

Yesterday, Jean and I spent the morning doing one of our shared hobbies, going to flea markets and yard sales. This was actually my first Saturday of the year that I went out to the sales. I've been trying hard not to go because I usually end up buying stuff I don't need just because it's cheap.
All in all I did pretty well though. I only ended up spending $8.50 total.
My favorite find was this vintage Sears & Robuck kitchen set:

I had picked up one small piece of this set about 6 months ago at a thrift store that I use to hold my pencils and pens in my studio. One of the yard sales we went to had 4 more pieces in a box for $3.50. The funny thing was, the very next yard sale we went to had even more pieces of it for $5.00. Jean and I split the $5.00 sale and I took the clock and the kitchen utensil holder and she kept the rest.
I think I like this so much because it reminds me of a 1970s retro kitchen.
I also picked up a dvd/vcr combo for $1 and a cat carrier that I had been looking for, also for $1.
When I came home and was trying to cool down, I glanced over at the dining room window and saw this:

Yay, the one plant I bought this year finally flowered! It was touch and go for the last week, because the poor plant was wilting in the heat, but I brought it inside and it decided to live!
J was sick all day Saturday, so I decided to make him (okay, ME) a cake. It looked yummy until I took it out of the bundt pan:

Once I flipped it, it fell apart. But it still tastes divine! It's an Angel Food cake with strawberries. I always use the Angel Food mix and add canned or frozen fruit instead of water, which keeps it lower calorie, but tastes better than plain Angel Food Cake.
Lastly, I wanted to share a better picture of the fun placemat I made for the bedroom last week. I am a sucker for novelty fabric (another trait I inherited from Mom) and this monkey fabric from Anna Griffin just makes me smile every time I see it.

So that was the highlights of my weekend. I do have a new obsession to share that took up most of my Sunday, but I will save that for my next post.
always,
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Love your flea market finds...MEMO to self: hit the antique stores here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- those are the SAME canisters my Aunt had when I was little :) Thank you for the smile. Before those she had apple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cake idea, sis. Gotta try that - I have an Angel food mix in the cupboard now, but haven't made it cuz it's a little bland. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete