Sunday, June 20, 2010

Painting The Town

I was so excited to get started on some of the projects I came across yesterday that I couldn't sleep last night. Literally. All of these ideas kept running through my head and I kept grabbing my iPhone to add things to the shopping list I had started.

I finally turned off the TV and went to "sleep" at 1:45 am. At 2:30am I gave up. I was just way too hyped to sleep. So instead of tossing and turning and keeping J up, I got up and went down into my studio. I was even nice enough to take the dog so she didn't wake up J.

I was going to leave Jovi in her crate in the living room because she was sleeping very peacefully, but Blair (our bed dog) had to go over and wake her up, so both dogs came down to keep me company. I say that tongue in cheek because both of them promptly jumped on the couch in my studio and fell asleep.

I turned on some tunes and got to work. I wanted to take an inventory of what I had and what I needed to buy. I actually made some progress organizing as well. I should organize more often because while I was looking for the box I know I have of mason jar lids (to make those hanging pincushions I shared the link for in my last post) I found some fabric I had "forgotten" about. Seriously, it was about $50 worth of fabric from my trip to Lancaster with my sister last fall. Oops.

So 4 hours later I had my shopping list ready and just had to pass the time until the stores opened. I ended up taking a short nap on the couch thank goodness.

I headed out to AC Moore and Home Depot. It was so stinkin' hot there was no way I was going to Walmart as well. I was able to get everything I needed.

I started painting as soon as I got home and I feel like I accomplished more than I actually did. I think it's because I only completed two painted things. But I have 3 other projects in-process. I can't get to the painting part until the glue dries.

My first project was to repaint a mirror. I've had this mirror for at least 10 years, maybe more. It's been on a time out in my studio until I either found a place to hang it or got rid of it. But I didn't like it anymore. That border that I really liked in the 90s is tacky to me now:

The painting did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. Maybe I'm out of practice. I had one problem after another though. First the primer didn't want to spray right. Then the lovely brown paper that I took the time to fit perfectly was blown off by the wind. I replaced the paper and the new paper blew partially off and stuck to an area I had just painted. It was a nightmare, but finally, I now have a shabby chic mirror. I think I need to distress it a little more though, I don't know. This is my first time distressing and I didn't want to take too much off:
My next project went much smoother, mostly because it was smaller. My mailbox was a disgrace. It was rusted and dirty. I really really wanted to paint it bright pink and paint flowers on it. Unfortunately, since we rent our house, it's not really my mailbox, so I just repainted it black. I'm not sure if you can really tell by the picture, but it looks a thousand times better!

That's all I got done painting-wise. Next weekend I am going to concentrate on redoing the bedroom. Since we got the new HUGE bed we can't fit as much in the bedroom as we use to. I'm going to do some more blog-stalking during the week this week and come up with a plan.

I think I'm going shabby chic. Wouldn't some distressed white furniture look great with these awesome curtains I found at a Nearly New Sale?



I love these curtains and since I spend a lot of time in the bedroom I want to make it a comfy place to be. Right now it's functional, but not comfy since we had to move out at least half, if not more, of my furniture.

Last but not least, here is a sneak peak into another project I'm working on. Below are all the ingredients to complete it. If you read my last post and followed some of the links, you might know what it is. Let me just say that so far, I am absolutely in love with the half-finished product.

That's it for now. I will post the finished product this weekend once it's done. But check back again this week because I'm taking a motivation challenge and I will need some encouragement from my readers...both of you! (LOL)

Always,
Kelly






No comments:

Post a Comment