Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sew What?

It's been a few weeks since I've updated, I know.  I reinjured my shoulder and needed to take some down time from my crafting.  I spent most of my down time reading and relaxing, but I was itching to do something crafty this past weekend.
I haven't been sewing much since it got warm enough out to spray paint and I was having a hard time getting motivated to start again.  Luckily, I have two crafty sisters, a crafty niece and an adorable great nephew who convinced me it was time to get back to sewing!  I was conflicted if I should go due to my shoulder problems, but who could say no when this little guy is going to be there?


I spent most of the day Saturday with the girls (and the little guy) and had such a wonderful time! 
I was originally going to work on a Halloween themed wreath inspired by the one I saw on Piccadilly Peddlers but I was totally sidetracked by the projects that my two sisters were working on. 
Jan took the time to teach us a quick way to make fabric post cards.  She even precut all of the pieces for us so that we could just assemble and sew them.  Love her (and the awesome banana bread she made) so much! 
I ended up making the cat postcard that day and came home and made the other two on Sunday.  I'm not really thrilled by the two I made on Sunday, but I'm still getting the hang of it!

Then, Jean showed us how to make a wonky star block by following the tutorial found on The Silly Bodilly blog.  (Jean did NOT precut for us, but I love her anyway!) We all made patriotic patterned blocks to donate to one of our fellow quilters in our guild.  She is assembling quilts for her husband and his fellow soldiers serving overseas.  The one I made at Jan's house turned out pretty good for my first time...not too wonky though!

The Halloween themed one I made at home the next day did not fare so well, but was much more wonky!  Me thinks I tried too hard for the wonkiness:

It was great to get back into sewing and I can't wait to get together with the girls (and boy) again.  I always learn something new! We were all very excited that Steph has taken the leap into sewing with us. If she lets me, I'll share the adorable skirt she made with the help of Jan a couple of weeks ago in a later post.
Hope everyone else had as productive a weekend as I did!

Always,
Kelly

P.S. A huge thanks to Lynette who made my first donation for the 2010 Memory Walk.  If you are able to contribute, please click on the link on the side bar!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool post, sis. Digging this shabby chic blog design, too! Your Halloween block isn't bad - just extra-wonky. Bet if you do more, they'll each be unique and wonderful. Isn't that the greatest, when no 2 are alike? (tee hee...I know that bugs you!)

    ReplyDelete