Sunday, July 26, 2009

Is Summer Over Yet?

I think I am in the minority when I say, I hate summer. I can't stand being hot, the sun triggers my vertigo and migraines, I hate bugs, I hate to sweat. That about sums it up. The only thing I really like about summer is the yard sales.

Now fall...I LOVE fall. I love the smells, the weather and especially the colors. This weekend, while an awesome store brewed outside, I locked myself in my studio with Big Brother on my laptop and worked on some fall projects.

This was the weather outside, aren't those clouds fierce-looking?


Anyway, my favorite project of the weekend was a linen towel. I found the pattern at one of my favorite sites for free patterns Fat Cat Patterns. I decided to use fall colors and just love how it turned out. I also used a stitch I have never used before to applique the chicken and I like it more than the blanket stitch I usually use.

Here's a closeup of the rooster that hopefully shows the stitching better:


I also made another Grocery Tote like the one I made a couple of weeks ago from the pattern at Spool, this time in some new fall fabric I found. I added two pockets on the inside, one for my iPhone and another for my ID/credit cards. I didn't love the fabric as much as I thought I would when it was finished, but this one went together much easier and I made fewer mistakes! I planned to use it as a purse, but I think I will continue to search for fabric I like better.

The only other sewing project I completed this weekend was another free one from Spool. I made a quick and easy Sewing Machine cover. As usual, this first one was a test, and I will remake this at a later date with sturdier fabric. The cotton is just too limp for my liking, although this will do the job of keeping dust off of the machine just fine in the mean time!



So that's it for sewing this weekend. I did decide that I need to teach myself to crochet since my sister has been makin all of these cool dishcloths and I do need something to keep my hands busy while I watch TV at night. I already knit, but Jean says crocheting is much quicker.

I picked up a few books at the library and sat down to try my hand. This is not my first attempt to learn to crochet, by the way. My past attempts led to a lot of cussing and a lot of frogging of the projects.
This is as far as I got with my first attempt of a coaster. Not too bad so far, but the hook still feels awkward in my hand. I'm use to holding knitting needles I guess.



I'll have plenty of time to practice next weekend, because J and I are spending the weekend on the Eastern Shore at my Aunt's house. Love to visit my aunt and my sister and brother-in-law, who live on the same property, but with no internet access and no sewing machine, I'll spend my time crocheting, knitting and maybe doing some embroidery.

I hope to spend at least a few hours Saturday morning checking out some antique stores in the area though.

Hope everyone has an awesome, craft-filled week!

always,

K







1 comment:

  1. That rooster is the bomb! I love it! Also, great pic of the storm clouds. Hard to see them over the swing set, though:)

    ReplyDelete